1. Looking right before crossing the road is habit forming, especially after being reminded by my brother-in-law, and the warnings written on the ground at every single intersection. “Look Right” with two eyes painted right next to it, each of which is looking right.
2. Walking on the right side of the side walk will cause you to nearly hit every single person you pass, and earn you some very nasty looks. I have been trying to stay to the middle, because staying to the left just feels too weird.
3. Walking in flip flops requires conditioning, and my feet are in no condition.
4. Food looks and tastes slightly different. Not enough to taste wrong, but certainly not tasting right, either. Good, just not right.
5. There are pigeons in Sydney. They are just not the only land birds to be found. However, they are very aggressive. Last night, one entered the pizzeria I was dining in and wandered around a bit before moving on its way. Today, one walked under the table I was sitting at while having coffee with my sponsor, and her entourage.
In other news, I got a library card and an email address for the University of Sydney. I feel like a real affiliate now. Honorary Affiliate, at that. I met with my sponsor, the Chair of the Anthropology department, and a graduate student doing her research in India. Everyone seemed to like my project, and that is reassuring. I took the subway by myself, and walked for a half an hour on instinct to find the University right where I thought it would be. That was also reassuring. A good day so far, and it is only 5pm. And now for the pictures:
My bed. Yes the walls are really that close on each side. University of Sydney
Yes, a totem pole right in the middle of Sydney (I think this is Hyde Park...I am not positive, though)
My attempt at photo art.
This one's for you, Riley. I thought you would like the long arm of Uncle Sam Goddamn
Finally, lessons 6 and 7: Andre the Giant: Obey shirts are for sale here in Kings Cross (King's X as it is known locally). The world really is pretty small. Also, Riley, Usher is in the middle of a Australian Tour. Who said he was washed up?
No comments:
Post a Comment