Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Big "O"

Oprah has finally landed in Australia, and it is really BIG news. Like the Pittsburgh Steelers in our home town, she has been the lead story on the news every night for the past week. National media was at the aiport in Sydney to greet Oprah's 300 guests who flew in days ahead of her. They have since followed them around Sydney, to Byron Bay, to Melbourne, to some sweltering hot Outback locality, and back to Sydney. She is filming two shows this coming week, to be aired in January or February in the States. And they are planning on decorating the Sydney Harbour Bridge in her honor:
That she is filming her shows at the Opera House means for a week she will be taking up the two most recognizable landmarks in Sydney, if not in all of Australia. A guy on the news tonight likened her coming here to the Beatles landing in the US in 1964. Really?

In other Oprah news, one of her protigees, the famous Australia Chef, Curtis Stone, is all over televsion here, pimping out adds for a major national grocery chain, Coles. There are little Coles-run conveninence stores in Sydney, called Coles Express (Mom will know why this is funny. Maybe she can show you while you are in Maine). This is Curtis, also famous for being a celebrity chef on The Biggest Loser, and for merely being a celebrity on The Celebrity Apprentice:

My favorite commercial featuring Curtis involves a Christmas dinnner, with his recipes being prepared by all kinds of women, who I think are supposed to be his family. Either way, all women. The men don't cook, I guess, unless it involves a "barbie." In this commercial, everyone is wearing one of these:

Yup, crowns made of tissue paper. Even Curtis. It is very strange, but very awesome. Anyway, I hope I survive Oprah, and I hope you survive Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment