Monday, November 29, 2010

"Mo"vember Ends

I was unaware of this, but the month of November has recently been re-named 'Mo'vember in several nations around the world, including Australia (where it originated in 1999) AND the United States (since 2007). In an attempt to raise both money for, and awareness of, men's health issues (particularly prostate cancer), men are encouraged to grow a moustache for the month of Movember. Here, people on TV, from local to national news anchors, sportscasters, and other celebrities all participate and it is a fairly big deal. On Nov. 30th, everyone shaves their face to mark the end of the event. Having arrived in Woolgoolga on Oct. 30th, and basically only being in town for the month of Mo-vember, I am just today realizing that some "Mo"-wearing men in town were only sporting the stache for the month of awareness. The owner of the coffee shop that I pop into now and again was clean shaven today, and I was surely caught off guard. I like the idea of this event, and I am thinking that people in the US should actively celebrate it. I am going to try to get a Mo-vember-positive vibe going as soon as I get back. Of course, I am always sporting a Mo, so I might have to get creative, but still. In honor of the Mo:
http://www.movember.com/
and:
and:
and finally:
Yeah, this last one is scary throw-back to days gone by. But it is the only Mo picture I've got...
Happy Mo-vember!


No comments:

Post a Comment